Saturday, October 3, 2009

Freezing peppers






Gerry is on one of his dirt bike riding adventures to the Hatfield McCoy Trails in West Virginia. He left Thursday afternoon and will return on Sunday. On Thursday I decided it was time to harvest my Big Jim New Mexican peppers. After reading several sites on line, I decided to roast them on the grill, remove the peel and seeds and freeze them. The first obstacle was that the grill gas tank was empty. I had never watched Gerry carefully when he changed it in the past. But he gave me directions by phone and I was successful.

I layered the peppers on plastic wrap and then rolled the whole thing up and put it in a plastic bag. Supposedly that way you can just unwrap as much as you need for whatever you are cooking. I did not think they had a real "bite" but after doing all the work with my bare hands, the did burn. Aloe Vera came to the rescue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get a hold of some of those roasted peppers this Christmas!

alexis said...

freeze them in small batches, so you can use the single serving as needed!

de-I said...

Or you just take out a frozen chunk and whack off the amount you want and put the rest back in the freezer.

stef said...

Mmmmm. i can't wait to see the posts about what you cook with them!